Partner (Provisional) visa subclass 309 lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily. Getting this visa is the first step towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 100).
With this visa, you can
– Stay in Australia until we decide your permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) or the application is withdrawn
– Work in Australia
– Study in Australia (you will not receive government support)
– Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want
– Attend up to 510 hours of free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
– Enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
– You must be the spouse or de facto partner of an:
+ Australian citizen
+ Australian permanent resident or
+ Eligible New Zealand citizen
– Your relationship can be with someone of the same or different sex.