Partner visa (Temporary) subclass 820 lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily. Getting this visa is the first step towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801).
With this visa, you can
– Stay in Australia indefinitely
– Work in Australia
– Study in Australia
– Enrol in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare
– Sponsor your family members to come to Australia
– Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
– If eligible, attend free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
– If eligible, apply for Australian citizenship
– You must hold a Partner visa (subclass 820) or Dependent Child visa (subclass 445).
– You must still be in a relationship with your spouse or de facto partner.
– See the subclass 820 visa for more information on married and de facto applicants.
– You must usually continue to be sponsored.
– You might still be eligible for the permanent visa if your relationship breaks down or if your sponsor dies after we haved granted the temporary visa but while we are still considering the permanent visa.
– Cost ranging: You paid for this visa when you made your combined application for the temporary and permanent partner visas.